- 1 Deadline Mobile
Deadline Mobile allows you to monitor your Deadline jobs from anywhere. The application connects to a Pulse server over the Web Service to download information about the Deadline Repository, so Pulse must be running before you can use Deadline Mobile. See the Pulse Web Service documentation for more information.
The requirements for Deadline Mobile are as follows.
|Mobile Device||Minimum Requirements|
|Android||Deadline 5.0 and Android 2.1|
|iPhone||Deadline 4.1 and iPhone OS 3.0|
|Windows Phone||Deadline 5.0 and Windows Phone 7.0|
When you launch Deadline Mobile for the first time, you will need to configure it so that it can connect to your Pulse server. Just press the Settings button in the top left corner. The important settings are the Deadline User settings and the Pulse Server settings. For Deadline Mobile to connect to Pulse, you must provide the following information:
- Deadline User Settings -> User Name: This is the Deadline User is the user that you normally submit render jobs from.
- Deadline User Settings -> Password: If the Pulse Web Service has been configured to require authentication, and empty passwords are not allowed, you must enter your user password here. This is the password that you specify in your Deadline User Settings in the Monitor. See the User Management documentation for more information.
- Pulse Server Settings -> Server Name: This is the host name or IP address of your Pulse server.
- Pulse Server Settings -> Server Port: The default is 8080, and should only be changed if the Pulse Web Service has been configured to listen on a different port.
After you have configured your Server and Deadline User settings, press the Job List button to return and press the Refresh button to connect to Pulse and load the job list. If you get an error when Mobile attempts to contact Pulse, see the Troubleshooting section for known errors and solutions.
The job list is the main screen, and by default it shows all the jobs in the repository. See the Settings section below for information on how to sort and filter this list. You can also use the search field to search for specific jobs.
To refresh the job list, just press the Refresh button. If you want to see more information about a specific job, press the button to the right of the job name to bring up the job details panel.
The job details panel shows additional information for a specific job. In this view, you can see most of the information you could normally see in the Deadline Monitor.
To refresh the job details, just press the Refresh Job button. To return to the job list, press the Job List button in the upper left corner.
The settings panel can be accessed from the job list by pressing the Settings button. You can access the online help by pressing the Help button in the top right corner (Android) or by scrolling down to find the Online Help link (iPhone). To return to the job list, press the Job List button in the upper left corner.
- Auto Refresh Settings
- Job List: If enabled, the job list will automatically refresh itself at the increment defined in Job List Interval.
- Job Details: If enabled, the job's details will automatically refresh itself at the increment defined in Job Details Interval.
- Job List Filter Settings
- Configure filters to only show the jobs that you're interested in.
- Job List Sort Settings
- Ego-centric Sort: If enabled, all of your jobs will appear at the top of the job list, followed by the remaining jobs.
- Primary Sort: Set the primary sort field and order for the job list.
- Secondary Sort: Set the secondary sort field and order for the job list.
- Deadline User Settings
- User Name: Your Deadline user name. This is the Deadline User is the user that you normally submit render jobs from.
- Password: If the Pulse Web Service has been configured to require authentication, and empty passwords are not allowed, you must enter your user password here. This is the password that you specify in your Deadline User Settings in the Monitor. See the User Management documentation for more information.
- Pulse Server Settings
- Server Name: This is the host name or IP address of your Pulse server.
- Server Port: The default is 8080, and should only be changed if the Pulse Web Service has been configured to listen on a different port.
- Proxy Server Settings
- Server URL: If you are using a proxy web server, you may need to set a more specific URL to connect to the Pulse server.
- Http Authorization: If your proxy web server requires HTTP authorization, you should enable this option and specify the user name and password.
- SSL: If you are using a proxy web server that requires SSL, you should enable this option. Note that this will change the server port in the Pulse Server Settings to 443 by default.
- Download Information
- This a running tally of the data that you've downloaded from the Pulse server.
Pulse Proxy Server
Depending on the security restrictions of your studio, you may wish to to setup a proxy server that acts as a middleman between Deadline Mobile and Pulse. You can run the proxy server on a different machine, and configure it to require authentication, use SSL, etc.
We have example scripts that you can start with by downloading Pulse Proxy Script For Deadline Mobile from the Miscellaneous Deadline Downloads Page.
- Place these scripts into a cgi script executable folder. For apache, the default is the cgi-bin directory, but different folders can be configured as script folders.
- Once the scripts are in the folder, running them should yield a 403: Not authorized error until the script has been configured.
The proxy scripts have been written to assume that the root web directory will be where the scripts will be run. Because of this, if they are placed into the cgi-bin folder you must prepend '\\cgi-bin\\' to the URI regular expression test in the scripts. Note that all slashes and regular expression special characters must be escaped (hence the double slash).
Common pitfalls with this are forgetting to mark the scripts as executable on unix based systems (use "chmod og+x Mobile_GetJob*" to mark them executable), and forgetting to set the owner and group to be the same as the webserver runs as (use "chown www:www Mobile_GetJob*" on most systems).
Note that we provide these scripts as is, and we don't officially support them. However, if you are having difficulties, contact Deadline Support and we'll do what we can to help.
These are some known Mobile errors and solutions.
- You must provide a password for authentication
- This error occurs when a password has not been set for the user name under Manage Users in Deadline while authentication is enabled and empty passwords are not accepted. To resolve this issue, you must fill in the Web Service Password field for the user and restart Pulse or wait for it to update its network settings.
- The provided user name and password are invalid
- This error occurs when the password provided is incorrect for the given user. If you believe the password is correct, you may need to wait for Pulse to update its network settings or manually restart Pulse.
- The provided user name is invalid
- This error occurs when the provided user is not in Pulse's cached list. If the user name is valid, you may need to wait for Pulse to update its network settings or manually restart Pulse.
- There was an error connecting to Pulse
- This error occurs when there are two errors connecting to Pulse in a row. The likely cause of this error is that Pulse is not running on the specified server. Verify that Pulse is running on the specified server and that you have entered the server's name or IP address correctly. If you have a name specified for the server and are not on the local area network of that machine, you may need to enter the server's IP address instead of its name.
- Network Error
- The connection with the server failed. Please check your server settings in the Settings Section
- Double check your settings in Deadline Mobile to make sure they match the required information. If all the Deadline Mobile settings are entered correctly and you still cannot connect, look in your general mobile device settings and make sure you are connected to the right network. Depending on how things are set up, your device will try to connect to the strongest network in the area. If the network it switches to doesn't have the correct settings to connect to your server then the connection will fail.
- If you are still unable to connect try rebooting the device (fully power off your device and power it back on). This error also occurs when the server you are trying to connect to has lost access to the internet. Double check that the server is connected to the internet.
- How do I get Deadline Mobile?
- Deadline Mobile can be downloaded from the Android Market and the iPhone App Store.
- How much does Deadline Mobile cost?
- Nothing, it's free!