Creating a Frost Object
The FROST compound object is located in the "Thinkbox" category of the 3ds Max Command Panel > Create tab > Geometry icon.
To create a FROST object via the Command Panel:
- Go to the Command Panel of 3ds Max
- Select the Create tab
- Switch to the Geometry group
- Navigate to the "Thinkbox" category in the drop-down list
- Press the "Frost" button
- Click in the viewport and hold the left mouse button while dragging the mouse to define the size of the FROST object's icon.
- Release the left mouse button to end creation or hit the right mouse button to cancel creation.
To add the shipping FROST MacroScript to the 3ds Max UI:
- Go to Main Menu > Customize > Customize User Interface
- Select the desired UI area (Keyboard, Toolbar, Menu, QuadMenu tab) to customize
- Locate the "Frost" category in the Category drop-down list
- Drag the Frost icons to the respective Toolbar, Menu or QuadMenu or assign to Keyboard Shortcuts.
- Optionally, locate the MacroScript "Sphere Gizmo (Atmospheres)" in the "Objects Helpers" category and drag it into the same toolbar or menu or assign a keyboard shortcut. This will come handy when using the AutoFrost feature described further on this page.
- Save the Customized User Interface
To create an empty FROST object using the MacroScript:
- Activate the FROST item by pressing the toolbar icon, clicking the menu item or invoking the Keyboard Shortcut created in the previous step.
- Click in the viewport to define the pivot point of the object and while holding the left mouse button pressed, drag to define the icon size. Release the left mouse button to end creation or hit right mouse button to cancel.
To create a populated FROST object from scene selection using the MacroScript:
- Select one or more valid particle sources (e.g Particle Flow or other particle systems, geometry objects, Krakatoa PRT objects, SphereGizmos etc.)
- Activate the FROST item by pressing the toolbar icon, clicking the menu item or invoking the Kayboard Shortcut created in the previous step.
When created, FROST will look for a valid license and if it cannot find one, it will present you with a dialog with options to show license details, set up the license or test the object in Demo Mode.
To add particle objects to an existing Frost object automatically:
- Select a FROST object in the scene, or don't select anything to use the last created FROST object.
- Check the AutoFrost item by pressing the toolbar icon, clicking the menu item or invoking the Kayboard Shortcut created in the previous step. The name of the FROST object will be shown in the status panel of 3ds Max and it will be switched to "Viewport Update When Particles Change" and "Use Radius Channel".
- Start creating supported objects like SphereGizmos, Geometry, Particle Flows, Legacy Particle Systems etc.
To turn off the AutoFrost mode, uncheck the AutoFrost item by pressing the toolbar icon, clicking the menu item or invoking the Kayboard Shortcut again. Note that the AutoFrost mode will turn off automatically if the active FROST object is deleted from the scene.
To create a FROST object in MAXScript:
FROST objects can also be created using MAXScript by calling the constructor Frost().