Krakatoa SR Overview
Krakatoa SR is a stand-alone version of Thinkbox Software's production-proven high-volume particle renderer for Microsoft Windows and Linux operating systems. It is targeted at programmers and technical userts who want to integrate the renderer with a content creation application currently not supported by Thinkbox Software.
Krakatoa is CPU-based, highly optimized, heavily multi-threaded, and can be used successfully on most hardware running Windows or Linux operating systems, including laptops and render nodes, without dedicated high-end graphics accelerators.
Krakatoa SR exposes two APIs: a Python-based interface and a C++ API to integrate into existing pipelines and to connect to various professional 3D and compositing applications such as Side Effects Software’s Houdini or The Foundry’s Nuke.
The Krakatoa SR C++ API was successfully employed in the implementation of Krakatoa MY for Autodesk Maya. Customers participating in the Beta test program of Krakatoa SR have also successfully integrated the renderer with various other applications including Eyeon Fusion and Autodesk Softimage.
Key features of Krakatoa SR include:
- Point or voxel representation of particle data, with various filter modes, motion blur and depth of field camera effects, and HDRI render passes output to OpenEXR files
- Support for both additive and volumetric shading models at the same time, with per-particle control over color, emission, absorption, density and more
- Support for various light scattering algorithms, high-quality self-shadowing and occlusions from both geometry and DTEX maps
- Particle loading of Krakatoa .PRT file sequences, RealFlow .BIN file sequences and .CSV file sequences, with the ability to offset, retime, combine and modify already cached particles
- Procedural particle creation from polygon mesh volumes and mathematical algorithms
- Particle repopulation for render-time conversion of low-count simulations into high-count particle clouds
Download links for the separate packages for the Python and C++ APIs can be requested via the Krakatoa SR Downloads page. The packages include documentation and examples.
Krakatoa SR is compatible with the network rendering licenses used by the other Krakatoa implementations. If you have purchased either Standard or Professional Bundles of Krakatoa MX or Krakatoa MY, or additional network rendering licenses for these versions, you can render with Krakatoa SR using your existing network rendering licenses.
Please visit www.thinkboxsoftware.com/sales or call 1-866-419-0283 to request a 15-day evaluation license.